Archive for June 3rd, 2010
So you’re joining hundreds of advocates, policymakers, and service providers from across the country, heading to DC for our National Conference on Ending Homelessness. You’re excited to learn about everything from creating a rapid re-housing system to accessing mainstream services, from the latest in federal policy to employment strategies for your clients.
That’s not all: you also have the opportunity to make your voice heard in Congress. Conference participants are invited to participate in our annual Hill Day, where you’ll educate members of Congress about homelessness in your community and encourage them to take action to end homelessness.
We know what works in the fight against homelessness, and as constituents, we need to tell Congress is that we have proven strategies. With our experiences and strategies in hand, we can share our policy priorities with our Congressional Representatives:
- Provide $2.4 billion in FY 2011 for HUD’s Homeless Assistance Grants Program.
- Fund 200,000 new Section 8 Housing Choice Vouchers in FY 2011, including 10,000 new HUD-VA Supportive Housing (HUD-VASH) vouchers, and 10,000 vouchers for the Administration’s proposed Housing and Services for Homeless Persons Demonstration.
- Provide $120 million for SAMHSA Homeless Services Programs in FY 2011, including $15.8 million for the Administration’s proposed Housing and Services Demonstration.
- Provide $165 million in FY 2011 for Runaway and Homeless Youth Programs, with the full $50 million increase targeted at the Transitional Living Program.
- Pass the Zero Tolerance for Veterans Homelessness Act (S. 1547).
YOU are the most effective advocate for your community and it’s important that Members of Congress hear what’s happening on the ground. This is your chance.
If you want to join up, email email@example.com and she’ll connect you with the state captain for your state, who will work with you through the Hill Day process.