Archive for March 29th, 2011
During the briefing, panelists will discuss the profound impact that homelessness wields on children and youth, as well as their parents. In addition to the loss of safe, stable housing, homelessness can cause a sense of displacement, trauma, and stress. This can corrupt positive child development, health, and school participation and create life-long costs to children and parents.
The briefing will reference the 60 Minutes segment on homeless children that cast some media attention on the problem. The briefing will also examine the growing epidemic of homeless children and families as well as model programs, strategies, and initiatives to keep children in school and to secure stable housing.
Invited speakers include:
- Diane Nilan, Founder and President, HEAR US, Naperville, IL
- Barbara Duffield, Policy Director, National Association for the Education of Homeless Children and Youth, Washington, DC
- Beth McCullough, Home and School Liaison, Adrian School District, Adrian, Michigan
- Lori Criss, Chief Operating Officer, Amethyst Inc, Columbus, Ohio
- Michelle Flynn, Associate Executive Director of Programs, The Road Home, Salt Lake City, Utah.
For more information about family and youth homelessness, please visit the Alliance website. If you’re interested in the Congressional Caucus on Homelessness or would like to attend the briefing, please contact the Alliance advocacy team.